Monday, April 24, 2006

Patient denied health insurance because of Kaiser Permanente's faulty information

So more recently, I tried to leave Kaiser. That as well is a long complicated story, but I decided to try switching to a PPO. I was denied coverage because of a list of items, three of which were not even true. Two were both "guesses" on the part of the nurse practitioner who diagnosed me. A third was just a blatant lie. They claimed that I had not had a test done, and it had been done, and with a good outcome.

It was also interesting to me that when I received requests to access my health information from the PPO (they're required to get these because of HIPPA, I presume), the form was designed in such a way that it looked as if it was mandatory for you to reveal information such as psychiatric care and whether or not you have HIV. It is illegal for a health insurer to ask those questions of an applicant, but they were just trying to see if someone would sign it by accident, allowing them to check.

2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Marc said...

And the fact you can't change health insurance companies is Kaiser's fault? I don't understand how that is

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Red Storm said...

They have incorrect information in my history. Several diagnoses were made which were guesses and in fact are not the case. Another was a test result which was just wrong.

Red Storm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home